Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Writing Center

I found this bulletin board in the Spotts World Cultures Building on campus. For many people who are not English majors, they may not be informed to a great extent on the services the Writing Center offers all students on campus. In our English courses we are told about the Writing Center all the time but it's a completely different story in my non-major courses. I found the bulletin board to be extremely informative and for anybody who does not know the services offered here, the bulletin board does a great job listing the services in a fun and creative way. The creators used mixed fonts and upper and lower case letters in the title. I do not think the use of all capital letters in the center title, "SHARPEN YOUR WRITING SKILLS," section is a hindrance to the theme or validity of the bulletin board at all. I think the choice to make the letters as such gets the point across as to what the Writing Center could do for your writing. Also, the size of the font was also very effective in that all information can easily read from the opposite side of the hallway. However, the bulletin board seemed to be a bit outdated in that some of the letters were either damaged or missing. Otherwise, the strengths of the board are its colors, that tie into our school colors, and the simplicity of the information provided. If I did not know about the Writing Center, this board would certainly bring me up to speed in yet another helpful service my tuition is paying for.

No comments: